Valentine’s Day snuck up on me quickly this year, and I’m sure I’m not the only one.
With a slew of midterm exams overwhelming me this week and my boyfriend starting his new job, the topic of Valentine’s Day plans has not yet come up, once! But to be completely honest, Valentine’s Day has never really been a big deal to me; spending time with a loved one is all that I could ask for, planned or not.
But this doesn’t mean I can’t get just a little creative this year! If I can accomplish this last minute Valentine’s Day with very little time and very little money, so can you. It doesn’t have to be for a boyfriend/girl, or husband/wife, I’m sure your best friend or closest sibling would appreciate a little love too.
Right off the bat, we are going to eliminate the dinner and the movie idea. We already know that you’ve left it to the last minute, so you’ll have a difficult time getting a seat at most decent restaurants. This would ultimately cost you and your partner up to $100 after a nice dinner and a film equipped with popcorn and candy.
- Make dinner at home. Surprise your partner after work with a fancy homemade dinner, or cook it together! Light some candles, dim the lights, and there you have it: a restaurant in your own home.
- A heartfelt card. This may seem obvious, but it’s so simple that people tend to forget. If you’re not a very mushy person, humor is always a good go-to. Just make sure it’s appropriate for the person you’re giving it to!
- Do things that you would normally do apart, together. I still plan on going to the gym on Friday evening, even though it’s Valentine’s Day. This time, my boyfriend and my younger sister will most likely accompany me. Spending time with loved ones and taking care of yourself is a win-win situation.
- Don’t forget the drinks! A bottle of wine or a few beers is fun for almost everyone. Better yet – add some booze to desert. Boozeday Tuesday this week offered recipes for delectable treats made with alcohol. DELICIOUS.
Not a drinker? I’m sure you’ll love these treat recipes.
- Do nothing. It can be very relaxing just hanging out one on one with a friend or partner and not having specific plans. And let’s face it: some people just don’t like Valentine’s Day. If you are one of those people, catch up on your episodes of The Big Bang Theory and enjoy some time to yourself.
There you have it: simple yet fun. Happy Valentine’s Day Snobs!