Are you always wondering what to buy someone who you know loves red wine, but don’t know what kind of wine to pick! Well, I am here to save the day. There is a very easy way to pick a really good wine, without going over budget, but still looking like you know what you’re doing!
Go into the Italian portion of your liquor store. After that there are 5 things you need to look for.
1. “Chianti” is the first thing you need to look for. This is the type of wine.
2. The next will be “Classico.” It will say “Chianti Classico.” This word means the wine is original area that made Chianti famous.
3. Next you need to find “Riserva.” This means the wine is aged longer than a normal “Non-Riserva” wine.
4. The Black Rooster on gold. “Almost all producers of Chianti Classico belong to a consortium that acts as a watchdog and ensures that high quality is preserved in the wine. Wines made by these high standards are identified by a black rooster on the neck of each bottle.” – Source
5. Finally, “DOCG” – On the neck of the bottle normally, it means that the wine has passed a chemical and taste analysis, past the regular regulations.
This is “Castelgreve” and it is a Chianti Classico Riserva from 2009. We found this bottle for 19.95 and bought the LCBO (Ontario Liquor Store) out. If you ever find a wine with all these things, under $20, I would suggest stocking up!